[?] Embarassing Blog Moments & Hunter S. Thompson

I have a 15-page review of Campolo's book someplace on one of my 5 hard drives, and I can't find it.

More is not better. When my largest hard drive was 80 GB and I had to put everything on floppies and ZIP disks, I could find my files. Now I might as well just leave them all in my front yard on a windy day. Sheesh.

On a more sombre note, Hunter Thompson killed himself this weekend. He's hardly a Christian, hardly even moral in any definition of that word, and probably would have pulled a gun on you if you mentioned the cross to him, but he was an unbelievable writer and a visionary journalist. He was blogging when there was no such thing, and getting paid to do it. Guys like P.J. O'Rourke and Dave Barry owe Thompson a debt of thanks because he cut the path upon which they tread.

Anyway, Thompson's work is not very edifying from a Biblical standpoint, but it casts light on the culture of the 70's and 80's. For the adults reading this blog, you ought to read (perhaps not buy, but find and read) The Great Shark Hunt and Hell's Angels. Everybody else will tell you Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was his gold-star achievement, but these other two books are far more accessible and compelling as far as I'm concerned. I also enjoyed Songs of the Doomed, but I was also an atheist at the time, so take that for what it's worth.

0 comments: